About the Role
The role of Quantity Surveyor is a significant one as the business is growing at a rapid rate. The role would report into the Head of Construction and would be responsible for all post-contract commercial management on specific projects.
We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, highly motivated and possesses an attention to detail, are systematic, disciplined and logical.
At Citu we have acquired a number of important sites where we have obtained planning consent for innovative developments delivered at one of the highest standards of energy performance. We have established a manufacturing operation to deliver the envelope of our properties and currently carry out the fit-out of the buildings on site.
We value long term relationships with our suppliers and subcontractors and work hard at establishing a positive can-do culture of continuous improvement on our projects.
The role must be commercially and contractually astute, with a deep understanding of contracts, warranties and legislation, whilst fully appreciating the important long-term relationship that our core suppliers and subcontractors have to the business.
We are a young company whose purpose is to accelerate the transition to zero carbon cities. Climate change is the biggest challenge facing our generation and we’re committed to playing a leading role by innovating in how we design and create our cities.
We started this journey 10 years ago and in this time have picked up over 40 awards for design, sustainability, innovation and enterprise.
The next chapter in our business will see us deliver over 1000 new homes, offices, restaurants and amenities in the regions city centres, which we aim to create some of the most exciting and innovative developments that we can.
We have developed our own housing system, established a factory to construct our buildings in, operate a technology and energy business to allow connected controls and community energy systems, operate our own construction teams, carry out sales and lettings directly and have technical and design functions as part of our team.
Our most important endeavour is in building a team of outstanding, courageous, passionate, ambitious and talented people. We invest a lot of time and effort into our company culture and robustly defend it by ensuring that only the very best join the team and that we recognise and nurture all of our team with coaching and personal development.
Our values are around positivity, commitment & responsibility, courage and honesty & fairness. It is important that your values resonate with these as they’re the values that we live by each day.
We have adopted a sports team mentality in our company. This principle governs how we hire and promote people who are able to demonstrate success through results. We recognise and appreciate that people are motivated by working with outstanding colleagues who are given the freedom to do what they know best and who accept the responsibility to make it the best it possibly can be.
We are in the process of designing and constructing a new office and experience centre on the side of our factory at Leeds Dock. This is due for completion next year and will form the basis for our offices, event space, exhibition space and innovation space to help advance all areas of the business.
• Prepare preliminary cost estimates and plans.
• Prepare financial statements at regular intervals during the construction period.
• Update project cash flow forecasts and cost to complete estimates each month
• Prepare and execute formal contracts.
• Prepare specification documents for tendering and evaluate tenders and tender reports.
• Manage interim work progress, and measure and price variations to monitor change.
• Ensure pre-qualification requirements are undertaken accordingly.
• Preparation of cost to complete estimates.
• Assess applications for payments, identify duplications and process invoices.
• Source and procure best value items and negotiate best prices and most favourable.
• Assess and monitor the supply chain to ensure best value is being provided.
• Manage client, sub-contractor and direct labour relationships through regular interaction.
• Settle final project accounts.
More about you
We are looking for a naturally disciplined individual who is proven in their field and who thrives on perfection and compliance in continuously improving our systems and processes.
You will have an interest in construction technology and techniques and will be motivated by the detail of getting things right.
You’ll be positive, and precise and able to work as part of a small team, with excellent communication skills.
Required Experience and Qualifications
• Probably have experience working for contractors, subcontractors or housebuilders running your own projects with track record of success
• Keen interest in construction technology and techniques
• Thorough understanding of contracts, legislation and common industry pitfalls
• Deep knowledge of excel and ability to navigate complex spreadsheets and formulas
• Degree level qualification minimum
• Experience of JCT and NEC contracts
• Managed budgets over £5m
Hours and environment
• We operate a flexible working policy for this role where it is expected that the individual meets or exceeds their objectives, but we aren’t prescriptive about times or days worked as long as the results are being achieved. The ‘usual’ working hours are 9-5:30pm but these vary from individual to individual.
• We are designing and constructing new offices near Leeds Dock which we aim to complete by the end of the year. In the meantime, we are based in open plan offices at our Greenhouse development in Leeds.
Citu is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all backgrounds and age groups.
Permanent. Full Time
This post is available immediately.
Generous salary negotiable for the right candidate.
Please email your CV and covering letter to: